Saturday, March 3, 2018

Maple and cranberry drumsticks メープル、クランベリー鶏のスネ肉

I bought a package of chicken drumsticks without any firm idea of how I was going to cook them. Then, I came across this recipe in the Washington Post. Since I had "figgy" cranberry sauce, I gave it a go. I served it as a drinking snack with my potato salad and coleslaw.


Since I scored around the bone, the meat shrank a bit to make a nice handle to grab and the marinade became sauce which clung to the surface.


Ingredients:
2 pounds chicken drumsticks
4 tablespoons cranberry sauce ( I used the "figgy" cranberry sauce I made).
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage (may substitute 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage)

Directions:
1. Use a sharp chef’s knife or cleaver to cut off the end, or ankle, of each drumstick. Discard them.
2. Place the drumsticks in a gallon-size zip-top bag, along with the cranberry sauce, maple syrup, oil, a four-finger pinch each of the salt and pepper, and the sage.
3. Seal and massage through the bag to coat evenly. Lay the bag in a glass or ceramic baking dish that is large enough to hold the drumsticks in a single layer. Let sit for 1 hour at room temperature, turning the bag over a few times, or refrigerate up to overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Open and pour the contents of the bag into the baking dish, arranging the drumsticks in a single layer. Turn to coat with all the sauce you can extract from the bag.
5. Roast (top rack) for about 45 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, using tongs to turn the drumsticks about halfway through the oven time.

This is not bad but to us, this is a bit too sweet because of the figgy cranberry sauce and the addition of maple syrup. Certainly this would be a good finger food for a party.

No comments: