Saturday, April 21, 2018

World's best cookie 世界一のクッキー

This is probably the very first cookie my wife made after we got married. She sent this cookie to my family in Japan and it was a hit. My mother and niece make this cookie using my wife's recipe. My wife has not made these cookies for a long time but she started to make cookies again recently and decide to go back to where she started. This cookie is called World's Best Cookie.


This is a type of crunchy and crumbly cookie and deserves a name like the "World's Best". Since one of the ingredients is "corn flakes", I was sent to the grocery store to get a box. We have not bought or eaten corn flakes for many years and I was surprised to find that the smallest box I could find was quite large.


Ingredients (#1 picture below, makes over three dozen cookies):
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup rolled oats, toasted in the toaster oven
1 cup cornflakes, crushed
1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
1⁄2 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted. If walnuts use cloth to rub off brown outer skin, chopped
3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy
Stir in egg, oil, vanilla.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
Combine with egg mixture until well blended.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients.Place on a parchment paper on ungreased cookie sheet into balls the size of walnuts using an ice cream scoop (#2) and flatten with a fork in criss cross pattern (#3).
Bake for 12 to 18 minutes.
Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing (#4).


I am sure over indulging on cookies these days but with coffee or tea, this cookie really hits the spot. I am taking a few to work with me so that I can have a snack in the afternoon.

No comments: